Saturday, July 26, 2014

diy faux calligraphy

This is actually from quite a while ago; I made these cards for friends in the Philippines. But I really enjoyed the technique, so I'm going to do something unheard of, and post a tutorial.
Shocking, I know.

DIY Faux Calligraphy:

1. Gather materials.

  • Watercolor paper
  • Pencil
  • Watercolor paints
  • Pen (I used a Sakura Micron, 0.5)
 
2. Cut paper to size. Whatever size you want! Mine was fairly small.


3. Sketch the name or phrase in cursive across the front, making sure that the beginning and end go off the page.



 4. Paint a light wash of watercolor over the word(s). I chose a purpely-bluey color, and variegated the colors. LET DRY. This is the step I all too often ignore, and pay the penalty for. (unintentional rhyme there.)


5. Use your pen to trace the word already written on the paper.

 

6. This is the more subjective step... the calligraphy. Basically, all that's needed is a thickening up of the "down strokes". So go back over the word, and find all the places you pulled the pen down. Then, thicken those lines! It's as simple as that. But for a more picture filled example, The Postman's Knock has a great tutorial for this.


 Voila! Simple, easy, and fun!

Here's a few more I made:


No comments:

Post a Comment