Thursday, February 10, 2011

paper cutting



*looks at date of last post*

Hm.

So much for blogging more. ;)

Beading? Ah yes, I was into beading, wasn't I...

Well, this time it is paper cutting!

A few weeks ago, something triggered my memory, I think perhaps it was a package of computer paper. :D
Don't ask me why a package of paper I walk past everyday all of a sudden reminded me of a craft I did long ago, it just did.

Yes.

A wave of remembrance hit me.
"Remember that neat paper cutting you did when you were in 4th grade?* "
(in case you were wondering, that's my memory speaking... ;))

It was a paper cut out of a forest, with two deer facing a tree. (Mirror image)

My brain started turning.

"I could try it again..."
(my imagination speaking, this time ;P)

Out came the pencil, paper, and scissors.

A tedious half hour of :

-sketching,
-making sure all lines meet,
-making sure deer are proportionate, (in the first drawing, the head was tiny :D)
-making sure it won't fall apart when I cut,

Then I started.

Scissors did not work.
(If you ever try this, take my advice, and use a craft knife)

So, I switched to craft knife.

Much better.

Cutting,
cutting,
cutting,

When I reached the leaves I lazily decided to leave some off.

Yes, it didn't enhance the picture, but it did bring relief to my aching fingers.

Just pretend it's spring. ;D

*clears throat uncomfortably*
In case you're wondering, the strange objects protruding from the tree trunk are supposed to be clouds.

Yes,
not much resemblance.

Well,

"Not as neat as I remembered"
(conscience speaking ;D)


Next day, I trotted over to the computer to do some searching for free paper cutting patterns.

After many hours I found that another word for paper cutting is:

~Scherenschnitte~

Yes, it's German.

and yes, its a mouthful.
:D
I googled scherenschnitte, and found a website that has some neat patterns.

I don't think you're supposed to copy and paste them into Word.

*looks nervously around for police*

I did. :P

Here's the website, in case you want to use them too.

A few I tried:

A mirror image forest scene:
(the bottom half is a reflection in a lake)
Mirror image paper cuttings are easiest.

half the work,
double the results!

Another mirror image pattern:
"The Cat's Meow".... :P


This next one is a bit different, as it isn't a mirror image,

Took longer.

Sigh.

It turned out neat though:

I had to change the leaves.

In the pattern they were oak leaves.

Tiny rounded edges are hard to do with a craft knife.

Oak leaves are very rounded.

I think that's all that needs to be said.

In MY pattern, they are spiky. :P

Perhaps it's a pine tree...

I also found a Valentine pattern on Martha Stewart.

*copy*

*paste*

*print*

*cut*

A picture of me *gasp* cutting:

ok, a picture of my hands...

AND....

The finished product:

This inspired me to design my own.

Out came the pencil again.

It actually turned out nicely.

*shocked gasp* ;P
and another one,

in my opinion not quite as nice,

maybe too busy with all the curlicues?

Another blog,

Victory!

and as the Warner Bros say:

*insert Looney Toons music*

"That's All Folks!"

2 comments: