Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Gothic building blocks

Yep. 
Another art assignment.

This time, it's about architecture.

Church architecture, to be exact.

I shall show you five examples of Gothic building blocks, and briefly explain each.
Thrilling, eh? 
:P
 Alright.

~
First are the:
Flying Buttresses


 Not sure if you can see, but I circled the flying buttresses with red...   

These were a main external support, used so that the walls of buildings could be skeletal, with huge stained glass windows, rather than solid.

~

Next:
Vaults
A vault was an arched ceiling, often rising very high above the ground.

 ~

Then, there is the:
Nave 

This is the main part of the interior of the church.
This word came in very handy last night, while playing boggle.
:P

~

Then, we have the
Tracery


This is the stone framework decorating the windows.
Such intricate stonework!

~

Lastly, my favorite part: the beautiful
Rose Window


Isn't it amazing?!

Rose Windows are circular windows filled with stained glass.


And that is it!

I still find it amazing that people could make these intricate and complicated buildings with such primitive tools, and often times they took literal ages to constuct. 

The Cologne Cathedral took six centuries  to build!
Yes, interesting name, isn't it...
:)

(I started my Ukrainian eggs! I'll post about that soon...)

2 comments: