Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Ukrainian eggs - dye


I have started the eggs.
:)
First I'll post about making the dyes.
Because that proved to be a more difficult and time consuming task than I first thought.

I had an extra half hour, so I decided to make up the egg dyes.
Dyes take longer than half an hour to make.
Let me get that point across first. ;P

However, I didn't know this.

So I dived in.

I started to boil some water when I realized I needed distilled water.
No big deal.
I hired my little brother to run to a sari-sari store for some water.


Then I realized that the dye was going to be a tight fit in the containers I had.
I tried it anyway.
Thankfully the dye all fit.
:P
However, some splashed on the counter.
This is strong dye. Not food color dye.
STRONG.
*gulp*
Actually it wiped off alright.
(water soluble)

Nevertheless, I moved to the back sink.


I boiled, measured, poured, and made sure not to dye myself.
Despite precautions I did have greenish blue fingers for a while after...

Finally, all twelve dyes were made, and safely stored with the lids on tight.

Phew.

I stopped several times, for lunch, music, and homework.
And it took much more than half an hour.

Next I'll post about the actual eggs!

No comments:

Post a Comment