Sunday, August 21, 2011

bas-relief scupture

Ok, no excuses this time.
I have just been lazy.
;P

School has started!

That means I have started my art course. 

Fuuuun.

I get to do art projects during school.
:)

Well.
This week I was supposed to write a 200-500 word report on ancient art. 

Hehehe.

Oh, the benefits of homeschooling.

I suggested attempting a bas-relief sculpture instead.

Much more interesting.
My suggestion was approved, so long as I blogged about it afterward. 
:D
So, here I am.
 
In case you didn't look at the definition, bas-relief is a sculpture done on a chunk of stone, or wood, or wax.  

My sculpture couldn't be stone,
(Don't have the right tools...)
Or wood,
(Don't have the right tools...)
Or wax,
(Don't have wax...)

So I tried clay.

Bas-relief is often known as "low relief", meaning that the carving is fairly shallow.

It is carved out of the material, instead of molded onto it.

Enough of definitions. 
 On to the process!
;P

I took a whole lump of clay,
(extravagant, I know... :p)
grabbed my knife with removable tips, (so handy!)
stole the rolling pin from it's drawer,
and began to...

flatten the clay.
(bit of an anti climax there?)
:D

That took quite a while.

Then, when I had a flat piece of clay to work with, I started carving.


I decided to make a dolphin,
don't ask me why.

A sort of random choice, I guess.

I wasn't at the peak of inspiration...

And the final piece.

Nope, not many photos.
Mine is not the blog of photos.
:p

And there you have it.

Documented.

And it will go down into generations, handed down to hundreds of thousands of eager readers, longing to know of this amazing, historical event, that changed the course of...
[/sarcasm]

Ok.
I'll stop.
;P

P.S. I painted some more birds! I'll try to post them soon.Yeah. We'll see if that actually happens or not... :P

2 comments:

  1. Very nice Amy! You never cease to amaze me with your incredible artistic talent!!
    I'm always so excited when you have a new post. Looking forward to seeing those birds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Auntie Judy! I'll try to post them soon! :)
    -Amy

    ReplyDelete